Cultured Vegetables with the 4 Thieves,
- 1 large head of green cabbage, shredded (set aside 4–5 whole outer leaves)
- 1/2 TB fresh rosemary (1/4 TB dried)
- 1/2 TB fresh thyme (1/4 TB dried)
- 1/2 TB fresh sage (1/4 TB dried)
- 1/2 TB fresh lavender (1/4 TB dried)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
- Dissolve one package of Body Ecology’s Veggie Culture Starter in ¼ cup warm water.
- Allow the starter to rest and “bloom” for 20 minutes or longer. While the starter rests, combine cabbage, herbs, and garlic in a large bowl.
- Remove ½ of the mixture and blend with enough water to create brine.
- Add Veggie Culture Starter to the brine.
- Pour the brine into the bowl with the remaining shredded cabbage, herbs, and garlic. Gently mix.
- Pack the mixture tightly down into as many pint or quart sized glass jars as necessary. Press out as much air as possible, leaving 2 inches from the rim for veggies to expand.
- Roll up outer cabbage leaves into a tight “log” and place on top, filling the remaining 2 inch space. Clamp jars closed or tightly screw on the lid.
- Let veggies ferment on the counter at approximately 70 degrees Fahrenheit or at room temperature for 1–2 weeks. Refrigerate to slow down fermentation.